Collections and research
Title: Museum Collections and Research Volunteer
Hours: Various, depending on tasks. Usually half a day or 1 day per week throughout the year.
Objective of role: To provide help with collections and research, supervised by the Curator. Volunteers will usually be allocated tasks and projects according to their skills and interests and the needs of the Museum. Not all responsibilities will apply to all volunteers.
- To assist the Curator as required with documenting objects using Modes.
- To correctly handle objects according to training given where necessary.
- To assist with labelling, cataloguing and auditing objects.
- To assist with supervising members of the public in accessing collections when required.
- To complete research tasks using various methods including Modes, archive files, the library and online resources.
- To use various computer programs (Microsoft Office, Modes, etc) to complete collections and research tasks
- To answer the telephone in a welcoming and friendly way, and take messages where necessary.
- To ensure the smooth running of Amersham Museum acting as an ambassador for the organisation.
- To adhere to any policies as asked to do so by Amersham Museum staff.
Desired Volunteer Experience and Skills:
- Good communication skills
- Good ICT skills
- Accurate and methodical
- Confident and reliable
- Open and positive manner
- Enthusiastic and helpful
- Willing to learn new skills
- Local knowledge
- Able to work well with others
“Enjoyed our visit to this wonderful interactive museum where you are positively encouraged to touch things!”