Jean Archer KS3 Creative Writing Competition
The Jean Archer annual art competition is designed to encourage young people to discover and share the history of Amersham. Hundreds of children participate in the award every year and the winning entries are exhibited for many others to see. Jean Archer (1926-2004) was well known as Amersham’s first Lady Mayor and a keen local historian. She lived in the town all her life and wrote many books about its history and local people. She was also responsible for re-starting the Town Band and helped to found both the Amersham Society and the Museum.
In 2018 the competition will take the form of a creative writing contest for Years 7, 8, and 9, around the theme of WW1 to commemorate the centenary of the end of the First World War. Entries can take any form, including but not limited to poetry, short stories, and essays.
Closing date Tuesday 7th August 2018
- Only one entry will be considered per student
- Submissions can be in any written style or format
- Entrants must include their name, surname, age, and school on the student entry form
- First prize in each category will win a VIP tour of the Imperial War Museum in London
- Runners up in each category will also win a WW1 themed prize
- Shortlisted entries will be considered for inclusion in our upcoming WW1 exhibition
Postal entries may be addressed to Jean Archer Arts Competition, Amersham Museum, 49 High Street, Amersham, HP7 0DP. Please click here to find the postal entry form (coming soon).
Terms and Conditions:
- Entry to the competition is FREE and no purchase is necessary to enter or win a prize for individuals.
- Work must be original (not copied).
- Competitions are open to different age ranges and will be clearly presented on any competition materials and competition web pages.
- The competition closing date is clearly marked on any competition materials and competition web pages.
- Entries will be accepted from students attending schools in the Buckinghamshire and Hertfordshire areas. For entries from schools outside of this area, please contact our Learning Officer.
- If providing a home address, we will write to the parents directly. Please seek parental consent before providing these details.
- Winners will be selected by a panel of judges at Amersham Museum.
- By accepting a prize, winners agree to have their names and images published on the Amersham Museum website, social media, and in local news and media outlets.
“Enjoyed our visit to this wonderful interactive museum where you are positively encouraged to touch things!”