Since it opened in 1991, Amersham Museum has thrived as a small, local, independent museum. In July 2017 a redeveloped and expanded museum opened to visitors. The new museum includes a new reception, permanent galleries, improved facilities and collections stores. In 2018 10,000 visited the museum; around half of these visits were from children.
Amersham is a historic Buckinghamshire town and the museum is situated in a listed medieval building on the High Street. Awarded the 2020 Sandford Award for Education, the museum is accredited and is run as a charitable company. The collections reflect the town’s history and development from Roman times to the present day, explaining how Amersham developed after the arrival of the Metropolitan railway. The museum has a wide-ranging programme of activities for adults and families, including talks, walks, craft and research sessions.
Title: Museum Collections Volunteer
Hours: Various, depending on tasks. Usually half a day or 1 day per week throughout the year.
Objective of role: To provide help with collections supervised by the Curator. Volunteers will usually be allocated tasks and projects according to their skills and interests and the needs of the Museum. Not all responsibilities will apply to all volunteers.
- To assist the Curator as required with documenting objects using Modes.
- To correctly handle objects according to training given where necessary.
- To assist with labelling, cataloguing and auditing objects.
- To assist with supervising members of the public in accessing collections when required.
- To complete research tasks using various methods including Modes, archive files, the library and online resources.
- To use various computer programs (Microsoft Office, Modes, etc) to complete collections and research tasks
- To answer the telephone in a welcoming and friendly way, and take messages where necessary.
- To ensure the smooth running of Amersham Museum acting as an ambassador for the organisation.
- To adhere to any policies as asked to do so by Amersham Museum staff.
Desired Volunteer Experience and Skills:
- Good communication skills
- Good ICT skills
- Accurate and methodical
- Confident and reliable
- Open and positive manner
- Enthusiastic and helpful
- Willing to learn new skills
- Local knowledge
- Able to work well with others
“Enjoyed our visit to this wonderful interactive museum where you are positively encouraged to touch things!”
“Visited Amersham museum yesterday – lovely place, provides many details on the history of the place. Plenty of cute cafes, pubs and shops around also… not difficult to find free parking nearby. ”
“A well-run, informative and interesting small museum on the main street. It’s mostly volunteer-run and they do a great job in keeping it and making you feel welcome…Check out the herb garden too.”
“Enjoyable film and television location guided walk around Amersham hosted by Amersham Museum – here are the Sun Houses on Highover Park and further up the hill is High & Over.”
Staying In Touch
Subscribe to our newsletter for all the latest news & events