Front of House Volunteer
Title: Front of House
This role will work alongside a Gallery Steward volunteer, who will be on duty together with a Duty Manager during opening hours.
Hours: We ask that you can volunteer a minimum of 10 sessions a year.
From June 2017, Wednesday – Sunday 12 noon – 4.30pm, with shifts of 12 noon – 2.15pm and 2.15pm – 4.30pm. There will be an annual closure in the winter.
Objective of role: To welcome visitors to the museum, accept and process admission and events payments and retail sales.
The role involves:
- To provide a welcome to all visitors to the museum and explain what their visit involves and the resources available to them
- To process retails sales, admission ticket sales and events bookings, using a computerised till system.
- To ask for support from the duty manager when required
We ask volunteers to:
- Have a neat and tidy appearance
- Arrive for duty in time to familiarise yourself with any new instructions
- Greet visitors and answer the telephone in a friendly way, and take messages where necessary
- Attend training sessions as necessary
- Help ensure the smooth running of Amersham Museum
- Adhere to any policies as requested by Amersham Museum staff
The Museum will:
- Provide a duty manager who will be on hand to open up or close the museum and help you at reception when you need it
- Make sure you can have a break if needed and provide a hot drink!
- Provide the necessary training and inform you of changes as required
- Keep you updated on the museum’s overall programme of events and exhibitions and other information that you might need to pass on to visitors
- Provide reasonable out of pocket travel expenses
You will enjoy this role if you:
- Enjoy dealing with the general public
- Have basic IT skills or familiarity in using a till
- Have good communication skills
- Are willing to learn new skills
- Are keen to develop your local knowledge
- Enjoy working with others
“Enjoyed our visit to this wonderful interactive museum where you are positively encouraged to touch things!”