Title: Gallery Steward
This role will work alongside a Front of House volunteer, who will be on duty together with a Duty Manager during opening hours.
Hours: We ask that you can volunteer a minimum of 10 sessions a year.
From June 2017, Wednesday – Sunday 12 noon – 4.30pm, with shifts of 12 noon – 2.15pm and 2.15pm – 4.30pm. There will be an annual closure in the winter.
Objective of role: To talk to visitors in the museum about the permanent and temporary displays and find out about their interests and stories.
The role involves:
- To talk to visitors in the museum about the displays and encourage them to access particular exhibits or interactive activities
- To talk to visitors about their stories and interests in visiting the museum
- To encourage visitors to complete a visitor evaluation form
- To move through the galleries throughout the afternoon, checking that displays are in order and functioning as required.
We ask volunteers to:
- Have a neat and tidy appearance
- Arrive for duty in time to familiarise yourself with any new instructions
- Greet visitors in a friendly way
- Attend training sessions as necessary
- Help ensure the smooth running of Amersham Museum
- Adhere to any policies as requested by Amersham Museum staff
The Museum will:
- Provide a duty manager who will be on hand to open up or close the museum and help you when you need it
- Make sure you can have a break if needed and provide a hot drink!
- Provide the necessary training and inform you of changes as required
- Keep you updated on the museum’s overall programme of events and exhibitions and other information that you might need to pass on to visitors
- Provide reasonable out of pocket travel expenses
You will enjoy this role if you:
- Enjoy dealing with the general public
- Have good communication skills
- Are keen to develop your local knowledge
- Enjoy working with others
“Enjoyed our visit to this wonderful interactive museum where you are positively encouraged to touch things!”