Title: Gallery Steward
This role will work alongside a Front of House volunteer, who will be on duty together with a Duty Manager during opening hours.
Hours: We ask that you can volunteer a minimum of 10 sessions a year.
From June 2017, Wednesday – Sunday 12 noon – 4.30pm, with shifts of 12 noon – 2.15pm and 2.15pm – 4.30pm. There will be an annual closure in the winter.
Objective of role: To talk to visitors in the museum about the permanent and temporary displays and find out about their interests and stories.
The role involves:
- To talk to visitors in the museum about the displays and encourage them to access particular exhibits or interactive activities
- To talk to visitors about their stories and interests in visiting the museum
- To encourage visitors to complete a visitor evaluation form
- To move through the galleries throughout the afternoon, checking that displays are in order and functioning as required.
We ask volunteers to:
- Have a neat and tidy appearance
- Arrive for duty in time to familiarise yourself with any new instructions
- Greet visitors in a friendly way
- Attend training sessions as necessary
- Help ensure the smooth running of Amersham Museum
- Adhere to any policies as requested by Amersham Museum staff
The Museum will:
- Provide a duty manager who will be on hand to open up or close the museum and help you when you need it
- Make sure you can have a break if needed and provide a hot drink!
- Provide the necessary training and inform you of changes as required
- Keep you updated on the museum’s overall programme of events and exhibitions and other information that you might need to pass on to visitors
- Provide reasonable out of pocket travel expenses
You will enjoy this role if you:
- Enjoy dealing with the general public
- Have good communication skills
- Are keen to develop your local knowledge
- Enjoy working with others
“Enjoyed our visit to this wonderful interactive museum where you are positively encouraged to touch things!”
Staying In Touch
Subscribe to our newsletter for all the latest news & events