Since it opened in 1991, Amersham Museum has thrived as a small, local, independent museum. In July 2017 a redeveloped and expanded museum opened to visitors. The new museum includes a new reception, permanent galleries, improved facilities and collections stores. In 2018 10,000 visited the museum; around half of these visits were from children.
Amersham is a historic Buckinghamshire town and the museum is situated in a listed medieval building on the High Street. Awarded the 2020 Sandford Award for Education, the museum is accredited and is run as a charitable company. The collections reflect the town’s history and development from Roman times to the present day, explaining how Amersham developed after the arrival of the Metropolitan railway. The museum has a wide-ranging programme of activities for adults and families, including talks, walks, craft and research sessions.
Title: Gallery Steward
This role will work alongside a Front of House volunteer, who will be on duty together with a Duty Manager during opening hours.
Hours: We ask that you can volunteer a minimum of 10 sessions a year.
From June 2017, Wednesday – Sunday 12 noon – 4.30pm, with shifts of 12 noon – 2.15pm and 2.15pm – 4.30pm. There will be an annual closure in the winter.
Objective of role: To talk to visitors in the museum about the permanent and temporary displays and find out about their interests and stories.
The role involves:
- To talk to visitors in the museum about the displays and encourage them to access particular exhibits or interactive activities
- To talk to visitors about their stories and interests in visiting the museum
- To encourage visitors to complete a visitor evaluation form
- To move through the galleries throughout the afternoon, checking that displays are in order and functioning as required.
We ask volunteers to:
- Have a neat and tidy appearance
- Arrive for duty in time to familiarise yourself with any new instructions
- Greet visitors in a friendly way
- Attend training sessions as necessary
- Help ensure the smooth running of Amersham Museum
- Adhere to any policies as requested by Amersham Museum staff
The Museum will:
- Provide a duty manager who will be on hand to open up or close the museum and help you when you need it
- Make sure you can have a break if needed and provide a hot drink!
- Provide the necessary training and inform you of changes as required
- Keep you updated on the museum’s overall programme of events and exhibitions and other information that you might need to pass on to visitors
- Provide reasonable out of pocket travel expenses
You will enjoy this role if you:
- Enjoy dealing with the general public
- Have good communication skills
- Are keen to develop your local knowledge
- Enjoy working with others
“Enjoyed our visit to this wonderful interactive museum where you are positively encouraged to touch things!”
Staying In Touch
Subscribe to our newsletter for all the latest news & events