AMERSHAM CENSUS DISTRICTS, A FINDING-AID
This page was created by Gwyneth Wilkie and should be of great help for those trying to examine the Victorian censuses who may well be confused about the way in which they are organised. She has also created the attached spreadsheet with details of the Census Enumerators as part of a project for the Family & Community History Research Society and article about the pay of Census officials. Gwyneth has also written about an extreme example of an enumerator’s dissatisfaction with his pay
The Amersham census districts for all the Victorian censuses from 1841 to 1901 are listed below. The details given in the front of each enumerator’s book have been transcribed, preserving the original spelling and use of capitals and apostrophes, but adding commas where necessary to separate place names for the convenience of modern readers. Whielden Street was renamed Union Street for a while and was also spelt Willdon, Wheilden, Whilden, Whieldon, etc. Raans Farm was sometimes written ‘Rains’, Hyrons was often Herons and Rushy Mead House was listed once as Russia Meadow. Features such as kilns and turnpike roads appear and disappear in the boundary descriptions, showing how the area developed. References and placemarkers are given so that the beginning or end of each enumerator’s district may quickly be found.
Census references decoded Each reference begins with HO (for Home Office) or RG (for Registrar General). This shows which department generated the paperwork which eventually reached the Public Record Office, later renamed the National Archives. The enumerators’ books for a particular area, minus any unused leaves, were bound up together and called a ‘piece’. A typical reference for the 1841 census is HO 107/45/Bk 3/4/1. The 1851 census has the same prefix, but makes no reference to the book number; for example HO 107/1717/360/19. Here 1717 is the piece number. 19 refers to the page number printed in the enumerator’s book and this number could be repeated many times in each piece. Used in combination with the number before it, however, it becomes a unique marker for this page. 360 is the folio number. Once the piece had been put together, a number was stamped sequentially on every right-hand leaf, so that any required page could be quickly found. From 1861 each census had its own prefix, RG 9 for that year, RG 11 for 1881, etc.
The list that follows gives the census reference for the beginning and end of each enumerator’s district. However, it is much less easy than it used to be to search the most popular census websites by entering the reference, so a name has been chosen from the beginning and end of each district to act as a placemarker. These are not necessarily the first or last names which occur, but have been selected because they seem clear enough be accurately transcribed. Since many websites do not include images of the pages in which the enumerator’s instructions are to be found, the last placemarker in one enumeration district will be found close to the first of the next and vice versa. If a search for one person marking the beginning of a district fails, try the last person of the preceding district and a few clicks should bring you through to the district you want.
The Genealogist website, www.thegenealogist.co.uk, currently has the most complete coverage of the preliminary and summary pages of each enumerator’s book, in which so much useful information can be found.
1841, June 6
District 1, enumerator John Wilson
First Amersham Town District taking the Cottages at Mantles Green then commencing at the West End of the Town of Amersham with the House occupied by Chas Curtis, proceeding Easterly by the South side(?) of the High Street to Whielden Corner and terminating with the H…………….. (?) [A corner of the page has been torn off.]
The book ends with Whielden Street, the Common Platt and one household in Swan Yard, which was perhaps missed earlier
HO 107/45/Bk1/5/1 to HO 107/45/Bk1/16/24, William Bailey, 56, carpenter, to Mary Woodbridge, 2, [on the penultimate page]
District 2, enumerator George Priest
Second Amersham Town District Commencing at the South End of Wheildon Street with the House Occupied by Richard [crossed out] Rachiel Norman proceeding down the East Side to the Corner(?) House occupied by Edw? Climpson thence down the South side of the High Street to the Cottage occupied at the corner of Picketts Orchard by Anne Hill, proceeding thence to the Bury Farm occupied by John Curtis taking in the whole of Bury End on both sides terminating with the Cottage adjoining Dove House Meadow ocupied by Arthur Redding and then taking the Rectory House, the Cottage called(?) Allens Barn
HO 107/45/Bk 2/4/2 to HO 107/45/Bk 2/17/28, Henry Hatch, 10, to John Tyrrwhitt Drake, 50, clerk
District 3, enumerator Joshua Rogers
Third Amersham Town District Commencing on the North Side of the High Street with the House at the late Tan Yard occupied by Henry Elburn, proceeding West on the North Side of the High Street to its termination at the Mill of Willm Gregory including the Houses at the New Maltings
HO 107/45/Bk 3/4/1 to HO 107/45/Bk 3/16/27, George Redding, 25, agricultural labourer, to William Gregory, 55, miller
District 4, enumerator Arthur Butcher
The Woodrow District comprising all that portion of the Parish not included in the preceeding Districts which is bounded North by the London Turnpike Road, East by the Reading Turnpike Road to the Whilden Lane Turnpike and by the Road leading over Winchmore Hill to Penn Street
HO 107/45/Bk 4/3/1 to HO 107/45/Bk 4/7/9, John Pratt, 75, agricultural labourer, to Thomas Hatch, 40, agricultural labourer
District 5, enumerator Daniel Smith
The Whildon Lane District Comprising all that Portion of the Parish not included in the preceeding Districts which lies East of the Reading and Penn Street Roads and South of the London Road
HO 107/45/ Bk 5/3/1 to HO 107/45/ Bk 5/6/6, Thomas Aldridge, 40, agricultural labourer, to Mary Brown, 50, lacemaker
District 6, enumerator Edward Aries
The Woodside District comprising that Portion of the Parish North of the London Turnpike Road, East of the Chesham Road to the point where Woodside Lane branches out of such Road near the Boot and Slipper, South of Woodside Lane & the Reading Road to the White Lion & then East of the Lane branching out of the Reading Road near the White Lion and leading to Latimers
HO 107/45/Bk 6/3/1 to HO 107/45/Bk 6/9/13, James Tapping, 32, shoemaker & beer seller, to Maria Dumbarton, 10
District 7, enumerator Henry Scott
The Weeden Hill District comprising part of the Parish lying North of the London Road, West of the Chesham Road, North of Woodside Lane and the Reading Road and West of the Latimers Lane
HO 107/45/Bk 7/3/1 to HO 107/45/Bk 7/11/16, James Griffin, 30, game keeper, to William Campion, 30, farmer
Amersham Union Workhouse, enumerator James Ellis
HO 107/45/Bk 8/2/1 to HO 107/45/Bk 8/5/6, Elizabeth Ellis, 30, matron, to Eliza Shrimpton, 2
1851, March 30
District 1, enumerator John Wilson
The First District commencing at Coldmoreham Farm and continuing down the South West side of the High Street turning up the south side of Union [Whielden] Street taking the Back Alleys and finishing at the Friends Meeting House
HO 107/1717/333/1 to HO 107/1717/347/28, William Bailey, 60, carpenter, to Josiah Hill, 38, higgler.
District 2, enumerator George Priest (innkeeper, Hare & Hounds, Union/Wildon Street)
The Second District commencing on the North Side at the top of Union Street opposite the conclusion of the First District continuing down the High Street taking the South West side with the Back Alleys to Pricketts Orchard. [NB enumerator writes Union Street as ‘Wildon Street’.]
HO 107/1717/ 351/1 to HO 107/1717/360/19, Charles Keen, 63, bricklayer to Rebecca Miles, lacemaker, 44
District 3, enumerator William Broadwater
The third District commencing at Gregory’s Corn Mill and continuing down the North West side of High Street taking Hatches Yard, Church Street Houses next the Malthouse, Church Alley finishing in the Broad way at the End of High Street
HO 107/1717/362/1 to HO 107/1717/381/34, William Gregory, 67, miller, to William Harding, 38, cordwainer.
District 4, enumerator William Bantoft
The fourth District takes the vilage of Woodrow, Drakes Lodge, Mop End, the Kennell, Shardeloes House and gardens, Wood side Lodge, part of Winchmore Hill, Whielden Lane, Brickwick, Cold arbor Farm and Pest House.
HO 107/1717/385/1 to HO 107/1717/393/17, James Compton, 65, Chelsea pensioner, to Stephen Lane, 39, agricultural labourer.
District 5, enumerator Edward Aries
The Fifth District takes Mantles Green, Brays Green Lane, Weedon Hill Farm, Wood side Lane, Chestnutt Cottage, Rains Farm, Black Horse Inn, Plantation Cottage, finishing at the Rectory.[The enumerator went round in reverse order.]
HO 107/1717/397/1 to HO 107/1717/409/24, John Tyrwhitt Drake, 60, Rector, to Joseph Putnam, 49, victualler.
District 6, enumerator Harry Scott
The Sixth District takes the Bury Farm, Brick Kiln, Quarrendon Farm, Bottom House Farms, Frog Hall, Impeys Mill, Adams Barn, the Hovell, Snells Lane, Beel House, Colemans Farm and both sides of the High Street, Bury End, finishing at the Pound.
HO 107/1717/413/1 to HO 107/1717/430/34, John Busbey, 27, shepherd, to Henry Andrew, 41, farmer.
District 7, enumerator Thomas Dorrell
The Seventh District takes the Whole of the West side of the Road which crosses the Green, making one Half of the Hamlet of Coleshill.
HO 107/1717/434/1 to HO 107/1717/441/15, John Ayres, 22, agricultural labourer to James Sears, 27, shoe maker.
District 8, enumerator William Hailey
The Eighth District takes the Whole of the South side of the Road which crosses the Green, making one half of the Hamlet of Coleshill.
HO 107/1717/445/1 to HO 107/1717/452/15, William Hailey, 38, baker, to John Tapping, 36, agricultural labourer.
Amersham Union Workhouse, enumerator Joseph Driscoll, Governor of the Workhouse
Amersham Union Workhouse (5 officers, 2 family members, 112 male & 102 female paupers.
HO 107/1717/454/1 to HO 107/1717/460/13, Joseph Driscoll, 33, Governor & coachbuilder, to Matilda Turvey, 1, pauper.
1861, April 7
District 1, enumerator James Sims
The first district commences at Coldmoreham Farm taking Little Shardeloes, Swan Yard, the Alms Houses and Meeting House Yard, continuing down the South West side of High Street, turning up the South side of Union Street, taking the Platt, finishing at the Methodist Chapel.
RG 9/847/4/1 to RG 9/847/14/22, Joseph Payne, 49, carpenter’s foreman, to John Eden, 39, master chair maker.
District 2, enumerator George Priest
The second District commences on the North side at the top of Union St oposite the Methodist Chapel, finshing at Pritchard’s[?] Orchard.
RG 9/847/18/1 to RG 9/847/25/12, from William Bryant (sic), 39, Relieving Officer, to Jacob Hatch, 66, corn dealer.
District 3, enumerator John Wilson Jnr
The Third District commences at Mr Sibley’s Corn Mill on the North West Side of High Street, taking Turpin Row, Flint Court, down High Street, taking Day Yard, the whole of Church(?) Street, Dray Yard, Malt House Yard, Stable Yard, Plantation Cottage, Market Square, Church Alley, Broadway, Gas House Yard, Old Tan Yard.
RG 9/847/30/1 to RG 9/847/44/28, from William Sibley, 36, miller, to Charles Wingrove, 37, maltster.
District 4, enumerator William Bryan
The fourth District commences at Woodrow Farm taking the whole of the village of Woodrow, Child’s Farm, Woodside Lodge, Drakes Lodge, part of Mop End, Shardeloes house and gardens, the Kennell, part of Winchmore Hill, Whielden Lane, Brickwick, Coldarbor Farm finishing at the Pest houses.
NB the enumerator went in reverse order.
RG 9/847/48/1 to RG 9/847/55/15, George Ball, 29, agricultural labourer to John Beesley, 43, cowman.
District 5, enumerator Joshua Rogers
The Fifth District commences at Mantles Green Farm, proceeding from thence to Weedon Hill Farm & Brays Green Lane along Coblicombes Lane & Woodside Lane, to Chestnut Cottage, thence to Rains Farm, Plantation House, Black Horse Inn & the Rectory, finishing at Allen’s Barn.[In a different hand:] Note. There are no houses in Coblicombs Lane but it is necessarily traversed in proceeding from Brays Green Lane to Woodside Lane.
RG 9/847/59/1 to RG 9/847/68/19, William Bunce, 30, game keeper, to William Shrimpton, 65, gardener. NB Shrimpton is on the penultimate page, 68/18.
District 6, enumerator William Chell
The sixth District commences at the Kiln, Beaconsfield Road, taking cow pastures, Quarrenden Farm, Upper Bottom House, Frog Hall Kiln, Frog Hall “Cottage”, Bottom House Farm, Adams Barn Cottages, Quarrenden Mill, The Hovel, Cokes Farm, Snells Farm, Beal House, Beal Lodge, Coleman’s Farm, Wilmouth Farm, Finch Lane, White Lion Road, Bendrose Cottages, Bendrose Farm, Barkers Farm, Amersham Common, part of Woodside District, Bury End “both sides”, Washington Row, London Road “both sides” finishing at the Bury Farm adjoining Pritchards Orchard.
RG 9/847/72/1 to RG 9/847/84/30, Philip Goddard, 52, farmer, to Arthur Green, 12, plough boy.
District 7, enumerator Robert Phillips
The seventh District commences on the west side at the top of Brick Wick Lane taking Coleshill house, the Bottle houses, the Barracks, The Dell Houses, Luckings Farm, Fagnall Farm, Hertfordshire Farm and Lodge, Part of Winchmore Hill and Troy Town finishing at the Queens Head Inn, Whieldon Lane comprising one half of the Hamlet.
RG 9/847/88/1 to RG 9/847/92/11, Henry Ball, 41, to David Hatch, 45.
District 8, enumerator William George
The Eight District commences at Russia [Rushey] Meadow House and Cottages taking Brantfords Barn Farm, Stockings Farm, Hobs Hole Lane, [‘Lower Bottom House’ is crossed out], The Mag Pie Beer House, Larkins Green, Bowers Farm, Hongar Hill, taking the South side of the Green which parts the other District finishing at the farm Cottage belonging to Coleshill House comprising the other half of the Hamlet.
RG 9/847/96/1 to RG 9/847/101/12, Susannah Ball, 78, annuitant, to William Beckley, 42, agricultural labourer.
Amersham Union Workhouse, enumerator John Tebbutt, Master
5 officers, 108 male paupers, 87 female,
RG 9/847/104/1 to RG 9/847/108/9, John Tebbutt, 35, to Ellen Jacobs, 11.
1871, April 2
District 1, enumerator James Sims
The first district commences at Coldmoreham Farm taking Little Shardeloes, Swan Yard, the Alms Houses and meeting House Yard continuing down the South side of High Street, turning up the South side of Union Street, taking the Platt, finishing at the Methodist Chapel.
RG 10/1395/5/1 to RG 10/1395/15/21, Thomas Winfield, 62, bailiff, to George Hill, 49, sawyer.
District 2, enumerator George Priest
Part of the Parish of Amersham, The North side commencing at The Top of Union Street opposite the Conclusion of the first District, Continuing down to the High Street taking the South West side and Norwood Yard taking the Bury Farm and the South side & Bury End finishing opposite the Chequers Inn.
RG 10/1395/19/1 to RG 10/1395/27/18, William Bryan, 49, Relieving Officer, to William Dumbarton, 72, labourer.
District 3, enumerator Frederic Dolling
The third District commences at the Upper Corn Mill on the North West Side of High Street taking Turpins Row, Flint Court, Day’s Yard, Market Square, Church Alley, and Broadway, the Gas House and Cottage in the garden, continuing down Bury End, finishing at the Chequer’s Inn.
RG 10/1395/31/1 to RG 10/1395/43/25, William Sibley, 46, Miller to Rebecca Belch, 73, Baker.
District 4, enumerator Richard Sims
The Fouth District commences at Shardeloes Gardens taken [sic] the Kennell, Shardeloes House, the Old Lodge, part of Mop End, Drakes Lodge, Model Farm and Cottages, Woodside House and Cottages in the Park, Child’s Farm, Woodrow and Woodrow Farm and Cottages, the Lord Nelson Beer House and that part of Winchmore Hill in the Parish, Heavens Orchard, the Turnpike House, the Cottages in Weildon Lane finishing at the Union Workhouse.
RG 10/1395 47/1 Thomas Bailey, 64, gardener to RG 10/1395/57/21, George Hearne, 66, agricultural labourer. Amersham Union Workhouse is included in this book, beginning at RG 10/1395/53/14. William Clarke, 25, schoolmaster, is one of the 6 officers.
District 5, enumerator William Hailey Jnr
The fifth District commences in Church Street, taking the Brewery, the Houses in the Malt House Yard, Mantles Green Farm, Weedon Hill Farm, Brays Green Lane, Coblicombs Lane, Boot & Slipper Beer House, Woodside Lane, Chestnutt Cottage, Raans Farm, the Cottages in the Gravel Pitts in Latimer Bottom, Plantation Cottage, Herons Farm, Woodside Farm, Flint Cottages, Black Horse Inn, Allens Barn and the Rectory finishing at the Cottage in the Pitle Plantation.
RG 10/1395/61/1 to RG 10/1395/70/20, William Dobson, 49, groom, to Edward T Drake, 38, Rector.
District 6, enumerator Henry Grimsdale Clarke
The sixth district commences at the Pest House, taking Cold Arbor Farm, Brick Wick, Amersham Kiln & Farm, Cow Pasture Cottage, Quarrendon Farm, Lower Bottom House, Frog Hall Kiln & Cottage in the Lane, Upper Bottom House, Adam’s Barn & the Corn Mill, the Hovel Farm, Coke’s Farm, Snell’s Kiln & Farm, the Cottage in Beel House Garden, Beel House, Wilmot’s Farm, the Cottages in White Lion Lane, Beel House Lodge, White Lion Inn & Cottages at the Back, Bendrose Farm, Barkers Farm, Pine Apple Yard, Reeve’s Farm and Woodys Farm………[The last line is missing from the image on both The Genealogist and Ancestry websites and the page is not included on Find My Past, though it can be glimpsed from the last page of District 5.]
RG 10/1395/74/1 to RG 10/1395/80/14, Ann Lane, 59, to Richard Ball, 50, farmer
District 7, enumerator Henry Alfred Rogers
The Seventh District commences on the West Side of Coleshill taking the Cottage on the Top of Brickwick Lane, Coleshill House,Coleshil Cottage, the Thatched Cottage, the Bottle Houses, Mrs Griffins House and Cottage in the Yard, Stock Place, the Barracks, Page’s Farm, Prospect Villa, The Dell Houses and Roadside Cottages, Taking the Houses on the West Side of the Green, The Upper Lodge and Hertfordshire House And Lower Lodge and Cottage, Fagnall Farm, Cottages in Coleshill Lane And that Part of Winchmore Hill Within the Hamlet, Finishing at the Queens Head Inn Whieldon Lane, Completeing the West Side of the Hamlet.
RG 10/1395/84/1 to RG 10/1395/90/14, William King, 16, stable boy, to Henry Ball, 55, agricultural labourer & beer retailer
District 8, enumerator John James Wilson
Commences at Rushy Meadow House and Cottages taking Hobbs Hole, Bramsford Barn Farm, Stocking Farm, Magpie Beer House, Larkin Green, Bowers Farm, Hunger Hill Farms, Lucking Farm, Coleshill Green and all the South Side, Windmill included and finishing at the Cottages beyond JW Howey Esq Mansion.
RG 10/1395/94/1 to RG 10/1395/99/11, George Grace, 52, shepherd, to Jacob Witney, 58, agricultural labourer.
1881, April 3
District 1, enumerator Alfred Berry
The first District commences at Coldmoreham. Little Shardeloes, Swan yard, The Alms Houses, Posting House yard, continuing down the South Side of High Street, turning the South Side of Wheilden Street, houses through the passage near Atkins Dyers, taking Cottages in the Platt and also near Mr Clarkes back premises, finishing at Cottage adjoining the Wesleyan Chapel near the Workhouse
RG 11/1453/4/1 to RG 11/1453/17/18, John J Gray, 37, bailiff on an estate, to James Elburn, 33, carpenter
District 2, enumerator Ernest Bryan
The second District commences at the north side (at the residence of Mr Bryan) Whielden Street nearly opposite the end of the first District continuing down to the High Street thence the South West side and Norwoods Yard taking the Burry Farm and the South side of Bury End, finishing opposite the Chequers Inn.
RG 11/1453/16/1 to RG 11/1453/24/17, William Bryan, 59, Relieving Officer, to Alfred Joseph Glenister, 16, shoemaker’s apprentice
District 3, enumerator James E Mead
The third District commences at the Upper Corn Mill on the North west side of High St. Flint Court, Days Almshouses, Market Square (taking Mr Rogers Ironmonger) Church Alley, All that block of building in the High St, in the occupation of Oxley, Harding and others, Broadway, House in Gas-house yard, Cottage in Garden formerly Tan-yard, down Bury End finishing at the Chequers Inn
RG 11/1453/28/1 to RG 11/1453/38/22, John Hearne, 40, carpenter’s labourer to Thomas William Axten, 39, innkeeper & carrier
District 4, enumerator Frederic Dolling
The Fourth District commences at Shardeloes Gardens, taking the Kennels. Shardeloes House, Mop End. Cottage. Beer House & Kilns. The Lodge, entrance to Park. Woodside House. Cottages in and adjoining the Park. Woodrow. Model Farm, Keepers Cottage, entrance to the Rough Park. Childs Farm. Cottages at Woodrow & in Chiltern’s Meadow. Cottages near Woodrow Farm, occupied by Revell & others. Woodrow Farm. Cottage in meadow occupied by Grace. The Lord Nelson Beerhouse and cottage opposite and that part of Winchmore Hill only in the Parish of Amersham. The Turnpike House & Cottages opposite & Cottages in Whielden Lane finishing at the Union Workhouse.
RG11/1453/42/1 to RG 11/1453/51/20, Thomas Bailey, 74, domestic servant, gardener, to James Baker, 53, vagrant born in Westminster.
The Union Workhouse section begins at RG 11/1453/48/14 with John Lee, 36, workhouse master.
District 5, enumerator William Hailey
The Fifth District commences in Church Street taking the Brewery Stable Yard, the Brewery House in the Malt House Yard, Cottage in Farm Yard, Barn Meadow, Mantles Green Farm, Weedon Hill Farm, Brays Green Lane, Copperkins Lane, Boot and Slipper, cottages opposite, cottages in lane, cottage crossroads, Belsons Cottage, Blacksmiths shop, cottages corner of Grimsdells Lane, Stathams cottages and all those between the Road and the Park cottages, cottages top of Green lane both sides, Smiths Beerhouse, Woodbridge’s cottage, Chestnut cottage, Red Lion Beerhouse, cottages opposite, roadside cottages, Farm House in the occupation of Mr E Weller but tenanted by Darvill, cottages in Gravel Pits, Latimer Bottom, Raans Farm, school house cottages leading to Plantation cottage. Plantation cottage, Flint cottage, cottages adjoining Black Horse, cottages in Woodside Lane leading to Herons Farm, Herons Farm, Woodside Farm, Allens Barn, the Rectory, finishing at the cottage in the Pikle, cottage over stables at the Rectory
RG 11/1453/55/1 to RG 11/1453/64/20, William Dobson, 57, groom domestic servant, to Thomas Berry, 3
District 6, enumerator Henry Samuel Wilson
Pest Houses, Gore Hill, Brickwick Cottages, Cole Arbor, Kilne Farm Cottage in Cow Pastures, Quarrendon Farm, Upper Bottom House Farm, Frog Hall, Kilne Cottage in Lane, Lower Bottom House Farm, Quarrendon Mill, The Hovel, Cokes Farm, Snells Kilne & Farm, Beel House & Stables, Cottages in Orchard & Lodge, Finch Lane, White Lion Inn, Cottages in White Lion Lane, Bendrose & Barkers Farm, Prospect House, Pine Apple Inn & Yard, White Lion Road, Reeves & Moody Farms, finishing Cottages near Black Horse
RG 11/1453/68/1 to RG 11/1453/74/13, George Ball, 50, agricultural labourer, to John Saunders, 32, agricultural labourer
District 7, enumerator’s name crossed out [Joseph Redrup?] and RC Williams, Registrar, signed instead
Civil Parish of Coleshill (Part of) RSD [Rural Sanitary District]. The seventh District commences on the West side of Coleshill top of Brickwick Lane, Coleshill Cottages and House, Coleshill Villa, the Thatched Cottage, Cottages opposite Porch House and Cottage in the Yard, Stock Place Farm house, and Cottages adjoining the footpath leading to Amersham, The Barracks, Paje’s Farm, Prospect Villa, Dell house and road side Cottages taking the houses on the West side of the Green, The Upper & Lower Lodge and Hertfordshire House, Fagnall Farm, Cottages in Coleshill Lane & that part of Winchmore hill within, finishing at the Queens Head Inn, Whieldon Lane completing the West side of the Parish
RG 11/1453/78/1 to RG 11/1453/82/9, Luke Lane, 65, agricultural labourer, to Isaac Almond, 46, innkeeper
District 8, enumerator Joseph Redrup
Civil Parish of Coleshill. Part of RSD [Rural Sanitary District]. 8th District. The Eight District commences at Rushey Meadow House and Cottages. Brentfords Barn Farm and Stockings Farm. Hobbshole, Magpie Beer House, Larkins Green, Bowers, Hongar Hill and Luckings Farms, The Windmill House and Cottage taking the South Side of the Green completing the whole of the Parish
RG11/1453/86/1 to RG 11/1453/92/13, William Shrimpton, 42, general labourer, to Sarah Bryant, 47, bead worker
1891, April 5
District 1, enumerator Alfred Berry
Boundary Being that part bounded on the North by High Street, East by Whieldon or Union Street, West by line drawn from Coldmoreham to the Workhouse.
Contents Coldmoreham Farm & Cottages, Little Shardeloes & adjoining houses, Swan Yard, Alms Houses, the whole of the South West side of the High Street and West side of Whielden or Union Street to the Cottage next the workhouse, including the Cottages in the Platt
RG 12/1130/4/1 to RG 12/1130/13/10, John Joseph Gray, 47, estate bailiff, to James Elburn, 43, carpenter
District 2, enumerator Ebeneezer Thomas King
No 2 District
Boundary Being that part bounded on the West by Whielden or Union St, North by Main Road, South and East by line drawn from Workhouse to the Bridge near the Chequers Inn
Contents The whole of the east side of Whielden or Union St and that part of the South side of High St from the corner of Whielden or Union St to the Cottages opposite the Chequers Inn incuding Norwood’s yard, The Bury Farm and Washington Row
RG 12/1130/14/1 to RG 12/1130/20/14, Frank Bryan, 37, Relieving Officer, to Frederick Taylor, 11, boarder
District 3, enumerator Lloid Pewsey
Boundary Being that part bounded on the South by the High Street and main road & on the North by the Stream
Contents The whole of the North side of the High Street from the Upper Mill occupied by Mr [Wm?] Sibley to the Chequers Inn including Flint Court, Day’s Alms Houses, all the North side of Market Square, the Conservative Club House, Church Alley, Gas House & Cottages
RG 12/1130/24/1 to RG 12/1130/32/17, Charles H Dumbarton, 26, gardener, to Ellen Lane, 6, scholar
District 4, enumerator William Bright
Boundary Being that part bounded on the North by the main Road, West by the Born [Bourn], Mop End Lane & Road leading to the Chapel at Winchmorehill, South by Whielden Lane
Contents Houses at Shardeloes Gardens, the Kennels & Huntsmans Cottages, Shardeloes House, Cottages on the Park, the Old Lodge, Model Farm & that part of Mop End in the Parish of Amersham, Woodside House, Childs Farm, Woodrow Farm & Cottages at Woodrow, the Lord Nelson Beer House & that part of Winchmorehill in the Parish of Amersham, Havens Orchard & Cottage, the Old Turnpike House, finishing at Cottages in Whielden Lane
RG 12/1130/36/1 to RG 12/1130/42/14, George Revell, 54, general labourer, to Charles Birch, 31, chair maker
District 5, enumerator James Emmens Mead
Boundary Being that part bounded on the South by the Stream and main road, West by Bray’s Lane, North by Line drawn from Weedon Hill to Latimer Bottom, South by Lanes Wood and the Railway to the Rectory Wood, thence by the path through the wood to the Pightle.
Contents The whole of the Houses in Church St and Barn Meadow, Mantles Green & Weedon Hill Farms, the Railway Huts in Frame[?] Field and Field near Mantles Green, Brays Lane, Copperkins Lane, Boot & Slipper Beerhouse, and Cottages in Road. Blacksmiths Cottage, Chestnut Cottage, the Red Lion Beerhouse and all the Cottages near, Raans Farm, Cottages in Gravel Pits at Latimer Bottom, Plantation Cottage, School House, Cottages in Green Lane, and also those near Black Horse Inn, Allen’s Barn Farm, Railway Huts near the Rectory wood, the Rectory & Pightle Cottage
RG 12/1130/46/1 to RG 12/1130/54/18, from Samuel Ford, 66, brewer’s cashier, to Edwin Rose, 26, railway excavator
District 6, enumerator Joseph Redrup Boundary Being that part bounded on the West by the foot path to Brickwick, Cold Harbour & the Kiln Farms, South by line drawn from Kiln Farm to Bottom House Farm, East by road past Cokes Farm to Amersham Common, North by main Road to Amersham
Contents The Pest House, Brickwick, Cold Harbour, Kiln Farm, Cottages in the Cow pastures, Quarrenden Farm & Cottages, Frogall Kiln, Lower & Upper Bottom House Farms, Quarrenden Mill, the Hovel, Cokes, Snells & Wilmots Farms, Beel House & Cottages, Cottages in Finch Lane, White Lion Inn & Cottages near Bendrose & Barkers Farms, Pine Apple Yard, H[i?]lls House & Cottages in Lane, Reeves & Moodys Farms
RG 12/1130/58/1 to RG 12/1130/64/13, George James, 27, game keeper, to Richard Ball, 70, farmer
District 7, enumerator Henry George Muckley
No 7 District
Boundary — Being that part bounded on the North west by the road leading from Amersham to Winchmorehill. Continued by line to Cottages known as Troy Town to the Plough then by road to Fagnall Farm & Lower Herts Lodge, South by line drawn from Lower Herts Lodge to the Foot path leading to Beaconsfield near Luckings Farm, East by Road leading to Amersham to the top of Brickwick Lane
Contents — Queens Head Inn, Cottages at Winchmorehill known as Troy Town & the two occupied by Elliott & Sawyer, the Potters Arms & Cottages near, Cottages in Coleshill Lane, Fagnell Farm, Upper & Lower Herts Lodges, Herts House. All the houses on the West side of the Green, Dell Houses, the late Parsonage House, the Larches, Lower Barn Farm, Pages Farm, Amber Cottages, Wheatsheaf Cottage & Post Office, Cottages near the Church, Stock Place, Porch House & Cottage. The Bungalow, Bottle Houses, The Rosary, Coleshill House & Cottages & Cottage at top of Brickwick Lane
RG 12/1130/68/1 to RG 12/1130/72/10, Alice Wright, 27, bead worker, to Sarah Brown, 23, cook
District 8, enumerator Herbert Parker
No 8 District
Boundary Being that part bounded on the North by a line drawn from Rushy Meadow to Hobs Hole, East by road to corner of Hodgmoor, South to corner near Red Barn Cottages, South-east by line to Lucking’s Farm, West by road through village to Amersham
Contents Rushy Meadow House and Cottages, Brentford Grange and Cottages, Stockings Farm, Hobs Hole, Magpie Inn, all the Cottages at Larkins Green, Bowers Farm, Ongar Hill and Luckings Farms, Windmill House and all the houses on the South side of the Green and Pond
RG 12/1130/76/1 to RG 12/1130/80/9, Samuel Saunders, 36, agricultural labourer, to George Kerridge, 78, retired labourer
Amersham Union Workhouse, enumerator John Tebbutt
RG 12/1130/83/1 to RG 12/1130/85/5, John Tebbutt, 64, master of the Amersham workhouse, to Thomas Charles, 47, agricultural labourer
1901, March 31
District 1, enumerator Frank Bryan
Boundary On the North by the centre of the High Street & Main Road, West by line drawn from Coldmoreham to the Workhouse, South East by line drawn from the Workhouse to the Bridge near the Chequers Inn.
Contents Cold Moreham Farm & Cottages, Little Shardeloes & adjoining Houses, Alms Houses, the whole of the South West side of High Street, the whole of Whielden Street to the Cottage next the Workhouse, the whole of the Cottages in the Platt, the whole of the South side of the Broadway, Norwoods Yard, Bury Farm, Washington Row and all Cottages to the Bridge near the Chequers Inn.
NB the sequence in the enumerator’s book is Union St, The Broadway, Bury End, The Platt, Union St, High St, Cold Moreham.
RG 13/1335/5/1 to RG 13/1335/17/26, Frank Bryan, 47, Relieving Officer to Thomas Swallow, 70, stud groom
District 2, enumerator James Arthur Tunks
Boundary On the South by centre of High Street and Main Road, North by the Stream and Footpath through Barn Meadow and the Pightle, past the Cemetery to the Chequers Inn
Contents The whole of the North side of the High Street, Market Square and Boundary to the Chequers Inn, including Town Mill, Flint Court, Days Almshouses, the whole of the Houses on Church Street and Barn Meadow, The Alley, Houses at the Gas Works, the whole of the Houses at Bury End on the same side including the Chequers Inn
RG 13/1335/21/1 to RG 13/1335/30/20, William Dobson, 33, postman (rural), to George Payne, 40, agricultural labourer
District 3, enumerator James Emmens Mead
Boundary On the North by the centre of the main road, West by the Moor & Mop End Lane to Penn St, Lodge, thence by the Parish Boundary to the Primitive Methodist Chapel at Winchmorehill, continuing by the Parish Boundary to Whielden Lane, South by the centre of Whielden Lane to the Workhouse
Contents House and Bothy at Shardeloes Gardens, the Kennel Farm and houses near, Shardeloes House, Cottages in the Park, the Old Lodge, Model Farm, new House occupied by Mr Langridge, the Griffin Beer house & Cottages at Mop End in the Parish of Amersham, Woodside House, Childs Farm, Woodrow Farm and All houses at Woodrow, the Lord Nelson Beer house, and all that part of Winchmorehill in the Parish of Amersham, Havens Orchard and Cottages near including the old Turnpike house and Cottages in Whielden Lane
RG 13/1335/31/1 to RG 13/1335/40/13, James England, 36, head gardener, to Daniel Darville, 78, bricklayer
District 4, enumerator Henry Andrews
Boundary On the South by the centre of the Stream and Main Road, West by Brays Lane to Hyde Heath, North by Parish Boundary to Latimer Bottom, then by Parish Boundary to the Rickmansworth Road, South by the Centre of Rickmansworth Road & the Railway to the Rectory Wood and Foot path through the Wood to the Pightle
Contents Mantles Green & Weedon Hill Farms, Cottages in Copperkins Lane, Boot & Slipper Beerhouse and all houses in Amersham parish near Blacksmiths Cottage, Chestnut Cottage, Red Lion Beerhouse & all Cottages near Raans Farm & Cottages, Cottage in Gravel Pits at Latimer Bottom, Plantation Cottage, The Pheasant Beerhouse & all houses near Woodside Farm, Hirons Farm, Flint Cottage and all houses near the Old Black Horse, the same side of the Railway Station Road, Station Hotel, Allens Barn, the Rectory and Gardeners Cottage finishing at the Pightle Cottage
RG 13/1335/44/1 to RG 13/1335/53/19, Thomas Butler, 38, farm bailiff, to Frederick P Williams, 36, builder
District 5, enumerator James Macpherson
Boundary On the West by the Centre of Whielden Lane to the Parish boundary near the Queen’s Head Inn, thence by Parish Boundary to Frog hall, East by parish boundary to the Rickmansworth road near Loudhams Cottages, North by the Centre of Rickmansworth road to Amersham
Contents The Pest House, Brickwick, Cold Harbour, Kiln Farm, Cottages in the Cowpastures, Quarrenden Farm & Cottages, Frog Hall Kiln & Cottages occupied by Wilkins, Lower & upper Bottom House Farms, Quarrenden Mill, The Hovel, Cokes, Snells & Wilmots Farms, New houses in Amersham Parish near Cokes farm, Beel House & Cottages, Cottages in Finch Lane, White Lion Inn & all Cottages near Bendrose’s & Barker’s Farms, Pine Apple Beer house, Hills House & Cottages in Lane, Reeve’s & Moody’s Farms & New Houses in White Lion rd including Maud Villa, Glenwood & Drakefield House
NB Although the district is enumerated in the order given above, Lower Bottom House Farm and Frog Hall Brick Kiln are listed last, following on from White Lion Road.
RG 13/1335/57/1 to RG 13/1335/63/18, John Hazel, 40, game keeper, to William Saunders, 57, brick maker
District 6, enumerator Henry G Muckley
Boundary the whole by the boundry (sic) of the Civil Parish of Coleshill
Contents Queens Head Inn, Cottages at Winchmorehill known as Troy Town and two owned by Mr G Pursey, the Potters arms Beerhouse, and Cottages nr Fagnall Farm, Lower Herts Lodges, Herts House, the Rosary, Coleshill House, and Cottages at the top of Brickwick Lane, Rushy Mead House and Cottages, Brentford Grange and Cottages, Stockings Farm, Hobbs Hole, Magpie Inn, and all Houses in the Parish of Coleshill
RG 13/1335/68/1 to RG 13/1335/77/20, Alfred Pusey, 37, dairyman, to George Appleby, 47, carter on farm
Workhouse, enumerator Isaac Summers
RG 13/1335/86/1 to RG 13/1335/88/6, Isaac Summers, 55, master of the workhouse, to David Poole, 57, tramp