Nos 131 & 133 (above right) are an 18th century pair of houses, listed grade II.
No 131 is an 18th century house which, in the 1870s, appears to have been combined with the next door house (no.133) as a Baker and Grocer. The shopkeeper in the 1871 census was Jane Oxley age 36. Her son John aged 21 (!) was living in the same house and described as a baker. In the 1881 census John and his wife Mary Ann had taken over the shop as a grocer. The mother, Jane had moved into Market Square and was still a shopkeeper.
Before that in 1841 the house was occupied by a brewer – William Smith (44). In the next two censuses of 1851 and 1861 the house was occupied by two officers of the Inland Revenue: Thomas Dove (aged 42) in 1851 and Andrew Taylor (aged 65) in 1861. By the 1891 census the two houses had been separated again and 131 was occupied by David Large, a home decorator, Joseph Smith, an army pensioner in 1901 and Bertha Dixon, District Nurse (aged 34) in 1911.
Before that in 1841, 1851 and 1861 no. 133 was occupied by a (house) painter, James Urmiston (born1789). By the 1891 census the two houses had been separated again and 133 was occupied by George Avis, chairmaker in 1891, Walter Kemp, ‘lineman telegraph’ in 1901 and Albert Fred Brown, milkman in 1911.
No. 135 (on the left of photo above right, formerly Rowthans or Rowthornes) is also listed grade II. It has an 18th century front to an older building.
No. 137 is an early 19th century red brick building (above left) with a welsh slate roof, also listed grade II.
No. 139 is probably a 17th century house (above left) with and old tile roof and a new façade added in the 18th century. It is listed grade II. In 1891 it was occupied by Sarah Toovey, aged 78.