The photo above is from the Chiltern Society Photo Group and is the copyright of John Harrison who has given permission for it to be used here.
These houses, previously this was known as Hatches Yard, are listed buildings which are approached through the arch under No 69. There is an inscribed tablet commemorating John and Alice Day, who used to run the Swan Inn. Their daughter Harriet built these almshouses in 1875 for six poor women of good character. Men are now also permitted to live here! The photo above shows the Rectory on the hill in the background.
The backs of the almshouses are visible from the garden of the Museum at No 49.