Most of these houses were built in the 17th century or possibly earlier and have been listed grade II. However they have been much changed with modern shop windows and have a modern wing in imitation timber framing.
In the 1940-50s, no. 27 was a private house and the occupier was Mr. Patrick who was Manager of the Water works at the bottom of Station Road. Mr. Patrick had two daughters, one who married Mr. Sabatini and the other married Mr. Marchant and they both lived in Milshot Drive. Then Mrs. MacGregor lived there for a few years and in about 1970 it was converted into a shop and opened as Charlottes, a Ladies Fashion House. At the end of 1984 the shop closed down and became Staks after extensive alterations and extensions. The next door property was private cottages occupied for many years by Mr. & Mrs. Gladman and Mrs. Burgess. After Mrs. Burgess died and Mr. & Mrs. Gladman moved away, the property was sold and after a great deal of alterations was opened by Scoops, selling china and glass, with two flats above. Staks and Scoops later combined into one business.
Click on any of the photographs below to enlarge it and to see the description. Then click on forward or back arrows at the foot of each photograph. To close the pictures, just click on one.