Nos. 62 and 64 (above left) have an18th century façade to a 17th century building, and are listed grade II. The windows have leaded casements and segmental arches.
No. 66 Whyteposts (above right) was so named as there were white posts to which the carriage horses were tethered and there is a carriageway entrance. It too has an 18th century façade to a 17th century building, and is listed grade II. It was the home of a wealthy maltster in the 17th century. Amersham was unusual in having many maltsters and brewers at that time. Between the end of the 18th century and early in the 20th century, the tenants were solicitors, many of whom were also stewards of the manor of Amersham. The census records the following solicitors and their families:
- 1841 Thomas Marshall 55
- 1851 Frederick Charsley 30
- 1861 George Isaacson 43
- 1871, 1881 and 1891 Henry Bedford born 1833
- 1901 and 1911 Robert Henry Rushforth born 1870
When the Tyrwhitt-Drake family sold the house in the 1928 auction, it was let to Mr. E. St. J Lobb at a rent o £100 p.a. (a copy of the sale particulars is shown below.). By 1935, Kelly’s directory shows it was occupied by Samuel Bennett.
No. 68 Hodingham House is the right hand section of the Whyteposts house.
Click on any of the photographs below to enlarge it and to see the description. Then click on forward or back arrows at the foot of each photograph. To close the pictures, just click on one.