Nos. 12-18 Built in the late 17th or early 18th century and listed grade II. The brickwork is attractive with a chequer pattern made from red stretchers (bricks laid sideways) and grey headers (bricks laid end outwards). Some windows have old lead glazing.
Nos. 22-28 Originally one house, probably built in the 17th century and now listed grade II. From about 1780 it was the workhousebefore it moved to the “Union” further up Whielden Street in 1839 (now Gilbert Scott Court). It contains a ‘grilled’ oak door behind which those of unsound mind were incarcerated. In 1767 there were 40 inmates doing various crafts including lace making and spinning.
The present Michael Moore shop was Fullers the Drapers (see the elegant paper bag to left and the bowler hat in the photo gallery below) before the Second World War – known as ‘The Emporium’ and run by Mr. Fuller and his two sisters. In the 1940s he opened a further shop opposite for bedding & furniture. In the 1950s it was run by Mr Newman and Mr Stone as a brush factory, making small brushes like toothbrushes and mascara brushes. The business then changed to Camp, a Farm Supplier. Upon Mr. Camp leaving the district, the business continued as a Farm Supplier under Mr. Gallimore and his son Ken. When Mr. Gallimore died the business was sold to Mr. Higgs who carried on in the same business until 1984. In 1984 Mr. Higgs sold up and these large premises were opened as an Antique Warehouse and shop and later became The Sheepskin Shop. (See photos below).
Click on any of the photographs below to enlarge it and to see the description. Then click on forward or back arrows at the foot of each photograph. To close the pictures, just click on one.