The Eagle (no. 145) on the left and no. 141 on the right. The photo was taken early in the morning after the annual Fair, hence the welcome absence of cars in the street.
The front of no. 141 (Arundel House) was built in the early 19th century, probably on an older building. It has an attractive semi-circular fanlight over the front door. In 1891 John Mead, a retired innkeeper aged 79, lived here. In 1903 Hugh Ford lived here and his wife Ethel was still living here when she died in 1947. This is posibly the same Ford family pictured to the right in 1895 with their goat cart. [A note written by Reg Mason said: “Hugh Ford, who lived two doors down from The Eagle, held a good clerical poistion at the Brewery. So did his brother, Clem, who lived opposite the office.”]
No 143 (The Old Bakery) was formerly two cottages. It was run as a bakery and confectionery shop by Tom Llewellyn Baker – see photos in the gallery below. He baked his own bread and had a number of delivery rounds. A well known assistant in the shop was Elsie Revel. Mr. Baker married Mary Louisa Hailey and they had 3 children, Kitty, Mary and Lelly.
It later became Baker’s Stores, a small general stores and was run by Mr & Mrs Walton in the late 1950s and the early 1960s. It closed because of the spread of supermarkets. It was described by a local resident: “Next to the Eagle there was a small shop selling bread etc. and all the old fashioned types of sweets in large jars – aniseed balls, gobstoppers and those terrible pink plastic looking prawns! It was run by Mr. & Mrs. Walton who kept Schnauzer dogs.”
The Eagle (no. 145) has an 18th century front on an older building. It was a “Beer House”, so was licensed to sell only “Beer, Cyder and Perry”. It was included in the sale of pubs by Wellers Brewery in 1929 and described as being “on the outskirts of the Town in the High Street”. See the particulars in the photo gallery below which show that the rent was £11 per year. It was known as “the poachers pub”. It has a rear entrance over The Misbourne (see photo on the right). Reg Mason’s recollections give an interesting account of the pub as it was.
The first reference found to it being a “beerhouse” is in 1856, although members of the Weller brewing family lived here in 1839. It was owned by the Rector in the early 19th century, but by 1872 Messrs Weller were the owners. Landlords in recent times have been Henry Rogers in 1872, Joseph Aylett in 1891, Charles MacDonald in 1939 and W. Phillips in 1952. Mr. Phillips was an ex-policeman and Mrs. Phillips had a popular dog, a whippet, called Ben.
Listen to Jean Archer talking in 1991 about “The Poachers’ Pub”
Click on any of the photographs below to enlarge it and to see the description. Then click on forward or back arrows at the foot of each photograph. To close the pictures, just click on one.