Nos. 70 & 72 are 17th century listed buildings grade II. Both are red brick and the upper part has exposed timber framing. There is an old tile roof with three gables and there is a brick stack on ridge between the central and right-hand gables. No. 70 was the business premises of Mr. Mason, a corn dealer and a photo is shown in the gallery below. The house was sold in the 1928 auction by the Tyrrrwhitt-Drake family.
No. 74 is behind the archway
Nos. 76-78 are the two parts of a late 16th or early 17th century listed building with a carriageway. When no. 76 (then no. 77 before the houses were renumbered in the 1950s) was sold by the Tyrwhitt-Drake estate, it was bought by Mrs Davidson for £200 and the auctioneer remarked “I am glad that you are gallant enough in Amersham not to bid against a lady”!
No. 80 is another listed building, timber-framed with an 18th century façade. It is built in red brick with an old tiled roof with a central hipped dormer. It was occupied by Mr. A. Bailey, who was a cabinet maker and the shop later sold antiques and curios, possibly when run by his wife after Mr. Bailey’s death. The house was sold in the 1928 auction by the Tyrrrwhitt-Drake family and the auction particulars and some old photos are shown below. It is now a shop selling wood-burning stoves.
Census information shows that this house was occupied by the following families:
- 1841: Richard Jordan (55) builder, wife Mary daughters Hannah (25) and Emma (16), plus Arthur Salter (20) an apprentice builder.
- 1851: Richard Jordan, his wife and daughter who by now was a school mistress in Amersham.
- 1861: Thomas Bailey (31) carpenter and cabinet maker employing 4 men and 1 boy; with wife Eliza (32), and children (Thomas 7 , Fanny M 6, William 5, Edward 4, Lizzy 3, Ellen 7 months) and a servant Elizabeth Ricketts (15) born in Watford. (Thomas Bailey had previously (1851) married Eliza Toms, daughter of John Toms, Brazier and at the time of the 1851 census the couple were living in 20 Lunn St, Bishopsgate, London)
- 1871: Thomas Bailey continued to live in the house with his wife and children: John, Thomas, William, Lizzy, Ellen and – new additions, Mary (8), Arthur (6), Frederick (5) and George (4). (Fanny by now aged 16 was living in Shardeloes House as one of the 22 domestic servants. She is described as ‘School Room Maid’; and Edward aged 14 was a ‘House Boy’ in the parish of Loose in Kent.)
- 1881: Thomas and his wife were sharing their house with Edward aged 24 who had returned from Kent and become a carpenter, Mary (17) dressmaker, Arthur (16) carpenter, Frederick (15), George (13) and – another new addition Robert (9).
- 1891 Thomas Bailey ‘Builder’ and Eliza were living with four of their children: Mary (27), Arthur (26), Frederick (25) and George (24). Eliza died in summer 1891.
- 1901 Thomas ‘Retired Builder’ was still living in the house, which was described as ‘Cabinet Maker’s Shop’ but his son Arthur (36) ‘Builder’, who had married in 1896 had taken over as head of the household with his wife Annie Eliza born 1871 in Sherborne, Dorset with their children Arthur Claud (4), Robert Churchill (3) and Rosina Mary (1).
- Thomas Bailey died in 1903. In the 1911 census Arthur describes himself as Cabinet Maker. Arthur aged 14 was a Farm boy and the other two children were still at school.
Click on any of the photographs below to enlarge it and to see the description. Then click on forward or back arrows at the foot of each photograph. To close the pictures, just click on one.