Nos. 99A-103 (Maltings Mews). These houses are part of what was previously the yard for Keens the builders. This might once have been the site of one of the town’s tanneries.
Nos. 105-107 This pair of houses (the two doors to the left of the photo above) are Listed Grade II with late 18th century brick front added to an earlier timber-framed building. They share an old tiled roof with two box dormers and a wooden moulded cornice.
Early census information for no. 107 shows that the house was occupied in succession by a cooper, a builder and a nurse:
- 1841, Joseph Wingrove 32, cooper
- 1851 Joseph Hatch 69, Builder
- 1861 Sarah Andrew widow 40, Nurse
From the 1871 census the house was occupied by women who had an independent income:
- 1871 Sarah Blay 80, Annuitant and sister Mary 76 Annuitant
- 1881 Mary Coleman 59, Dividends
- 1891 Mary Coleman 69, own means with a boarding companion Caroline Gathard 27
- 1901 Unoccupied
- 1911 Constance Ethel Wright widow 51, no occupation