Hinton House is an Elizabethan House, formerly known as Liscar, which would originally have had a half timbered front. In the 18th century the front was replaced with a fashionable Georgian front, probably in 1783 – see photo below.
Near the roof there is an 18th century Sun Fire Office disk to show firemen that the house was insured (see photo on left). This was found in the house by Mr & Mrs Goodwyn, the former owners, and fastened by them on the brick facade. It probably originated from when the house was owned by John Tanner, a “Doctor in Physick”, who was insured with Sun Insurance in 1716 and 1722, possibly in 1725 when William Tanner, an apothecary, lived there. In 1758 the house was bought by Robert Eeles, a “mealman” and a Quaker, who ran Bury Mill. It remained in the Eeles family until about 1840. In 1861 the census shows that William Day (aged 66) lived here with three servants and by 1871 he had been joined by his sister Harriet who left money for the Day’s Almshouses. By 1929 Mr C Hanbury lived here and after the sale of the house in 1928 by the Tyrwhitt Drake family (see auction particulars below), Mrs E R Ryan was living here in 1939. Until recently, the late Mr Charles Goodwyn lived here. He was for some years keeper of the Royal stamp collection.
Click on any of the photographs below to enlarge it and to see the description. Then click on forward or back arrows at the foot of each photograph. To close the pictures, just click on one.