Eric was known as “Mr Amersham” and was a Town Councillor and the Mayor. He was also a District and County Councillor and worked indefatigably for the good of the town and its inhabitants. In 1984, he was awarded an MBE for his Services to the Community.
He was born in Hendon and served in the Royal Armoured Corps in WWII. He was promoted to 2nd Lieutenant in 1940, when he also married Marie Wise. They lived in Ruislip until 1956, then moved briefly to Chalfont St Giles before coming to Old Amersham in 1958, where they settled into Badminton Cottage in Church Street.
Eric and Marie ran Butlers, a newsagent selling toys, sweets and cigarettes on the corner of Church Street and Market Square. Because anyone who wanted to speak to Eric as a local Councillor would come to see him at the shop, faithful Marie often had to deal alone with all the customers while Eric was attending to his “surgery”!
He was for many years Chairman of the Amersham Society and was a founder director and Chairman of Amersham Museum. He was much involved in fund-raising for the purchase and repair of the Museum building and in all weathers could be found running a stall under the Market Hall to raise funds. He was actively involved with many other local charities.